Web-Dedicated Metacard

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Dec 23 12:52:00 EST 2002

Chipp Walters wrote:

> The big problem with a *sanctioned* web-savvy MetaCard or RunRev player is
> the potential for *very dangerous viruses*!!

While the potential for malicious abuse is clear, it's no more a problem for
Rev than it is for ActiveX controls, Director extensions, or downoading
applications from Downoad.com.

And considering the several billion dollars' worth of security holes
throughout Microsoft operating systems and Internet products, any security
measure ultimately comes down to trust:  you either trust the site making
the download available, or don't download it.

This is not to suggest that we shouldn't continue to pursue security
solutions.  On the contrary, such moves will be needed to attract any larger
organizations.

But on balance, if we remind folks that such distribution carries only the
same risks as downloading any executable file, we can allow people to make
their own choices about downloading.

I like what the secureMode offers, but it also hampers one of the biggest
advantages of desktop software over browser-based applications: local data
storage.

I'd love to see a "semi-secure" mode, in which file I/O was allowed but
restricted to one specific directory.