xCards versus HTML

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Dec 19 19:58:01 EST 2002

>Backward compatibility is more viable (sustainable)
>with stacks than with HTML pages. A stack is
>equivalent to a complete site, yet far more flexible
>than the dozens or hundreds of corresponding web
>pages. A stack can/will be scripted to re-purpose the
>existing content, casting the content in several
>forms: HTML, XML, textfiles, database records,
>reports, CGI program; individually, or any mix that
>you wish. New formats can also be scripted as they
>become available, relevant, popular... without fussing
>with the content at all and without disrupting the
>other formats either.
>
>I agree with you that people do upgrade when they have
>a good reason and a reasonable of success. It's
>evolution! My conviction is that we have the
>upper-hand in terms of potential, but I suppose that
>we the xCard community has not made its case
>persuasively enough. Not yet that is!  Ignorance of
>the superiority of our xCard approach must be
>countered with more communication, and hopefully my
>last 3 messages to this list have contributed to this,
>albeit in a very small way. You can quote my
>ramblings, if you wish, in other forums. As it is, I
>am preaching to the converted, eh!

Hmm, you seem to forget one little detail. MC is not a stagnant
environment and evolves as well, creating compatibility issues of its
own as new versions are coming out. A trivial example of something
very real (I ran into this myself just recently): if you happen to
use 2.4.3 and use the "slash" constant that it supports, your stack
won't work correctly with 2.4.1.  Will you expect everyone to upgrade
to the newest MC always? This is equivalent of asking everyone to
abandon Netscape 4.x and move to 7 (I think they are still more
people using 4.x than 7). The bottom line: things are not that
trivial in wide open world :)

Ronert