Answer File Command

Gregory Lypny gregory.lypny at videotron.ca
Fri Dec 6 14:35:01 EST 2002

Hello again,

File, there was some suggestion that Mac OS X is a bit quirky in
displaying files.  Based on some of your suggestions, here's what I got
with OS X (Jaguar) and two types of text files (Appleworks and plain
text).  In the first four cases below, which differ from one another
only in the use of the words type or filter and quotation marks,
AppleWorks text files are displayed but plain text are dimmed (bad).
The fifth case, based on Andu's suggestion resulted in all files in the
folder being dimmed!  In other words, it does the opposite of what I
understood it would do.

Answer File of type TEXT   - displays Appleworks but dims plain text
Answer File of type "TEXT"   - displays Appleworks but dims plain text
Answer File with filter TEXT   - displays Appleworks but dims plain text
Answer File with filter "TEXT"   - displays Appleworks but dims plain
text
Answer File with filter "*.txt"   - dims everything!

	Greg

P.S.  What is the convention for putting quotations around a word or
phrase in an email to ensure something reasonable is displayed?  Should
I use the asterik?