To-be-saved changes are not saved - and another bad bug

Axel Buchner axel.buchner at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Dec 3 06:11:01 EST 2002

>> Here is an instance of really bad behavior of MetaCard, and I wonder
>> whether anyone knows a solution.
>>
>> (1) I close a stack script.
>
> This is your problem, I think, you close the script editor from the close
> box in the title bar. You should close the script editor from the OK button
> at the bottom of the window in order to save the script!!

Thanks for your help! Indeed, the using Apply and OK buttons seems like a
workaround.

However, I do not think that this is *my* problem. If a dialog gives me the
option to save a script and I respond "yes", then saving the script what is
supposed to happen. Everything else is a bug, a very bad bug in this case.

Here is another one:

At least under Mac OS X, 10.2.2, try this:

(1) Create a new stack
(2) Choose "Save" from the file menu
(3) Specify a file name with an "Umlaut" (ä, ö, ü all work, I have not tried
other non-ASCII characters)
(4) Click "Save"
(5) Quit MetaCard

MetaCard will quit happily, but nothing will have been saved! Hours of work
could have gone down the drain!

I hope this will be fixed in the next release.

Similarly, try this:

(1) Save a stack of your choice.
(2) Change the file name to something that includes an Umlaut
(3) Quit MetaCard.
(4) Double-click the file who¹s name includes the Umlaut
(5) MetaCard will crash on launch!
(6) Change the file name back to include only ASCII characters, and
double-clicking it will launch MetaCard with no problem.

Regards, Axel