stacks on internet?

eric engle engleerica at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 31 09:57:01 EDT 2002

I am trying to determine whether and how I can put a
metacard stack on my website and have my readers
access it.

In hypercard it is possible to open a web page using
the "open url" command.

I am looking through the metacard documentation and
finding it sparse, though I am sure it must be in
there somewhere (nearly everything else is!)

I have a rather big website
(http://lexnet.bravepages.com) which I might convert
to metacard to showcase both metacard and my writing.
This is because the text processing of xTalk is so
vastly superior to anything that could be done in
javaScript (to say nothing of browser and platform
incompatabilities). But before I go down that path I
want to make sure and determine how to do the
following:

*have a stack link to a web page
*have a web page link to a stack such that the stack
will not just be saved to the local machine but
actually be opened by metacard if metacard is on the
local machine.

I have been trying to get netscape to use helper
applications to open the stack. The stack will
download but I have not yet gotten it to both download
and open which is my objective.

I have figured out how to import files from the web.
But for now I am a bit stumped on opening a browsers
from metacard and on reading a metacard stack from a
browser.

I may be able to eventually convince other academics
that metacard is a superior choice to HTML or even
PDF. I think it is - with metacard you can take a
bibliography and rearrange it dynamically by topic,
subject or author, as well as search terms. Maybe that
is possible under DHTML but again there are so many
cross browser and even cross platform problems that I
think the better choice is metacard.

=====
My Web sites:
http://www.geocities.com/engleerica/ (law)