hide/show menu buttons

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 30 16:19:01 EDT 2002

Nobody posted last time around, and I really want a solution for
this, so let me sweeten the pot a little...

The first person who comes up with a solution for this one that
allows me to do what I want to do, a cross-platform solution (in
other words, no XCMD's etc.), will get a free registration to the
program of your choosing from all of Gypsy King Software's current
releases, or you can wait for this release.  (If your choice is
Blackjack Royale I'd suggest you wait for this release :-)

I have a menubar on each card (in the background layer, so it
automatically appears on each card).  On a Mac, of course it's the
regular Mac menubar.  On windows, the menubar is part of the card.
Standard so far.

Works perfectly except for one thing.

I want to hide/show menu buttons when entering a card.

on preOpenCard
   show btn "Options"
   hide btn "Strategies"
   hide btn "High Scores"
end preOpenCard

This works when editMenus are true and the Windows version of the
menu updates perfectly.  But when editMenus are off, the Mac menubar
does not update to reflect the changes.

I've tried lock menus and unlock menus both before and after
updating.  I've tried moving the hide/show buttons into the openCard
handler with lock and unlock menus.

The menu will not update until I click on one of the Metacard stacks,
home, tools, etc., and then click back into my stack.

I do not want to enable/disable.  I want to show/hide.

I've scoured the archives and every help resource I know of.  So far,
no luck.  No solution.

How do I get the Mac menubar to update without clicking outside the
window?  Without clicking on anything?  From within the script?  So
that when the program goes to a different card, the menubar
automatically updates without the user having to click somewhere?
(Sometimes the user choosing a menu item will take them to a new
card, but sometimes the program will take them to a new card on its
own.)

Any takers?

Shari C
--