Transferring Metacard 2.4.3 stacks from Windows to MacOSX

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Mon Aug 26 12:39:01 EDT 2002

This problem may be somehow related to the thread "Mac OS X Bug?:
MetaCard won't open its own stacks".

I tried to open stacks created with Metacard 2.4.3 Windows (the latest
available build of July, 28th) in Metacard 2.4.3X (build of August 20th)
under MacOS 10.1.4.

The stacks appear as dimmed and cannot be opened. Adjusting the file
type with Filetyper under MacOS 9.2.2 before (I do not have a filetyper
for OSX, nor could I find one) does not help here.

But I found two workarounds:

1. Happily I came across an older MetaCardCarbon 2.4 (build 3) version
that could open the Windows 2.4.3 stacks. Once saved in the
MetaCardCarbon version, the stacks are now accessible in Metacard
2.4.3X.

I noticed another advantage of the older MetaCardCarbon version: You can
open ".rev"-files because there is a filter ( You can do that in the
latest Windows version, too), but you cannot do this in Metacard 2.4.3X.

2. The other workaround I found is to use the "RevDroplet" of Sarah
Reichelt. This can be downloaded from the developers contributions from
the RunRev site (www.runrev.com).

You drop your Metacard-Windows stack on the droplet, get a Metacard
stack with a Rev icon, but can then open the stack under Metacard
2.4.3X.-

Request: Could the described features of the MetaCardCarbon version not
be re-integrated into the new Metacard 2.4.3X version?

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke