A few questions on multi-platform MetaCarding

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 21 21:00:01 EDT 2002

LiangTyan Fui wrote:

> Based on what I've observed from the list, the following is what I am using
> now for browser handling:
> on launchBrowser theURL
> switch the platform
> case "MacOS"
> put "open location "& quote & \
> theURL & quote into thecode
> do thecode as applescript
> break
>
> case "Win32"
> set the hideConsoleWindows to true
> put empty into theTitle
> if "NT" is in the systemVersion then
> put quote & quote into theTitle
> end if
> get shell("start" && theTitle && theURL)
> break
>
> case "Linux"
> # anyone?
> break
> end switch
> end launchBrowser

Interestingly, that handler fails under OS X when specifying a local URL: it
launches the program which created the file rather than the default browser.
I have not yet found the reliable method for launch the default browser with
a local URL under OS X.

 Custom Software and Web Development for All Major Platforms
 Developer of WebMerge 2.0: Publish any Database on Any Site