A few questions on multi-platform MetaCarding

LiangTyan Fui mlist at afteroffice.com
Wed Aug 21 11:08:01 EDT 2002

A few questions here for the MetaCard expert out there:

How do I grab attention from user when MetaCard is at the back?
1. Blink the program menu while MetaCard is at background? (Mac OS 9)
2. Bounce the MeteCard Icon on Dock? (Mac OS X)
3. Blink the window box on task bar? (W2K)
4. Blink on the KDE/Gnome task bar? (Linux)

How do I move (copy) sounds between stacks?

Based on what I've observed from the list, the following is what I am using
now for browser handling:
on launchBrowser theURL
  switch the platform
  case "MacOS"
    put "open location "& quote & \
       theURL & quote into thecode
    do thecode as applescript
    break

  case "Win32"
    set the hideConsoleWindows to true
    put empty into theTitle
    if "NT" is in the systemVersion then
      put quote & quote into theTitle
    end if
    get shell("start" && theTitle && theURL)
    break

  case "Linux"
    # anyone?
    break
  end switch
end launchBrowser

Anyone knows how to launch "default" browser in Linux?
Also, the shell command has much smaller limit on W2k over Win95/98, passing
a long URL (over 150 chars) get truncated. Anyone can help to confirm this,
and any workaround?

Thanks.