? What are Metacard's UDP (datagram) Limits

andu undo at cloud9.net
Tue Apr 30 00:11:01 EDT 2002

Sparticus Zarris, Cross Country Communications wrote:

> I'm trying to see what the limit is for UDP "packets" sent from Metacard using the form:
>
> open datagram socket to <socketID>
> write <myData> to socket <socketID>
>

> Keep in mind this is for UDP packets (datagram).
>

> I set up a sender and a listener using the MetaCard stack "chat.mc" as the shell.
>

> Here's the problem.
>
> I thought there would be a limit of some sort on the packet size -- probably associated with the size of Ethernet frames on my network, or a multiple of that size.
>
> I sent 32K of data, and got it out the other end, exactly.
>
> I then assumed there was no problem, maybe there was NO limit.
>
> Then I wrote a simple app that assumed there was NO limit.
>
> My simple app wouldn't work.
>
> My simple app was sending blocks of about 64K.
>
> I re-tested using the "chat.mc" shell.
>

> Turns out, I can send any amount of data, any kind of data, but no more than EXACTLY 65,507 bytes.
>

> If I sent 65,508 bytes, NO PART OF THE DATA IS SENT.  NO ERROR IS REPORTED.
>

> WHY, is this a MetaCard limit?  I'm sure Scott will explain this away as a feature, so it would be nice to understand the rationale, and if this is identical across all platforms
>
> What kind of a limit is 65,507 bytes.  It is NOT a power of 2.  But is sure dang close.
>
> What does it mean.
>
> Is it yet another flaw in MC.

I'm curious what other flows you have in mind but from my experience
with tcp + sockets the limitations are in the OS, amount of traffic,
type of connection, etc., generally nothing particularly related to
Metacard.
Also from what I know, udp only allows for limited size packets, maybe
you just found that limit.
I'd look for more info on udp on the internet, an rfc or something.