"open location" applescript truncates URLs

Kevin James kejames at frontiernet.net
Fri Apr 26 19:16:01 EDT 2002

On Mac OS X I'm using a simple applescript -

put "open location" && quote & tAddress & quote into s
do s as AppleScript

to open a URL.  However, this method truncates my URLs at 223
characters.  Have others experienced similar behavior?

Apple's knowledge base provides only this unhelpful article:

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n75235

Is there a better, more reliable method of opening a URL in a browser
on OS X?  GURLGURL seems to work only when IE is open ... it cannot
launch the browser.

Suggestions welcome.

Regards,

Kevin