chat program behind a router

Mark Talluto fuegox at mac.com
Mon Apr 8 19:43:01 EDT 2002

On Monday, April 8, 2002, at 03:05  PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> LOL!  I often see documentation, dialog boxes or other communication
> that says "See your System Administrator."  But I am the system
> administrator!

I am certain that if this does not kill me, it will make me stronger.

> Some routers are hard to set up.  Fortunately, IPNetRouter should be
> easier than most.  I have never used it, but I'm aware of what it can
> do.  It uses a different NAT terminology than I use.  To make a
> connection from the outside to a computer on the LAN, use "inbound port
> mapping."  You should also check your filters in the IP Filter to make
> sure that all kinds of TCP packets can go both directions on the ports
> and IP addresses you need.
>
> With "inbound port mapping" the computer on the outside will then try
> to connect to the router (not the inside computer) on the port that
> will forward to the port used on the inside computer.

It is funny you said this as I am knee deep in their .pdf manual just
reading up on "inbound port mapping".  This is the trick for my personal
needs.

>> Now putting a server outside the firewall is probably going to be very
>> important to insure that all users can communicate no matter what
>> their situation is.
>
> Note that the above method actually does put the service on the
> Internet.  The service being in the trivial case one of the chat
> clients.
>
> There are cases in which some strict firewalls will still block.  Some
> won't allow connections to strange ports.  Some have software local to
> each computer that will only allow certain applications to go through
> the firewall.
>
> Dar Scott

The whole point of this chat program for me is to learn how to send data
back and forth for network gaming.  I have grand visions of creating a
multi-player game that I can build on my new founded knowledge of tcp,
ports, networking, routers.... and the list goes on.

As time goes on, I may request support again.  In fact I am sure of it.

Thanks!

-Mark Talluto