chat program behind a router

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Apr 6 12:29:08 EST 2002

On Saturday, April 6, 2002, at 12:36 AM, Mark Talluto wrote:

> Thanks Dar.  I will probably have an option for the user to select
> peer to peer or use the server option if needed.  The peer to peer
> is neat simply because it does not require a server, but may be
> the only option for internet users.  The use of firewalls is
> becoming more and more prevalent.

Remember, in peer-to-peer the guy behind the firewall initiates the
connection.  (And on mc it should be TCP.)

Even this might be blocked on some firewalls.  A couple ways to
address this comes to mind.

First, you can used a standard chat protocol.  That makes it easier
for the person behind the firewall to explain what is needed to the
firewall guy.  Alternately, you describe exactly what is needed
that can be printed and handed to the firewall person.

Second, you can look like an allowed protocol.  Many applications
use HTTP.  If there is also a proxy, the dialog must look a lot
like HTTP.

These don't seem to be the problem in your particular test case.

Dar