chat program behind a router

Mark Talluto fuegox at mac.com
Sat Apr 6 02:38:02 EST 2002

On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 10:20  AM, Dar Scott wrote:

> On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 10:17 AM, Mark Talluto wrote:
>
>> Is my problem with settings on the routing software or with my chat
>> program?  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
>

> (It is sometimes easier to establish a dialog through a firewall with
> TCP than with UDP.  This is especially the case with with mc port
> assignment limitations; the firewall might only allow a packet with
> exactly the source & destination swapped from one that recently went
> out.)
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Dar Scott

Thanks Dar.  I will probably have an option for the user to select peer
to peer or use the server option if needed.  The peer to peer is neat
simply because it does not require a server, but may be the only option
for internet users.  The use of firewalls is becoming more and more
prevalent.

-Mark Talluto