web enable metacard applications

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Fri Nov 30 12:42:11 EST 2001

Klaus a écrit :

> Hi Richard,
> >
> > hi,
> >
> > May I know how to web-enable metacard applications to run on a browser?
>
> well, this is something we all would like to know ;-)
>
> Unfortunately this is not possible directly.
>
> Or does someone know about an MC-browser-plug-in ?
>
> The MetaCard file-format is unique. That means that the browser
> cannot display *.mc files.
>
> There are 2 possible solutions, which may not satisfy you completely.
>
> 1. You can define MetaCard as a helper-application for your browser.
>
> Means the browser will launch MetaCard when you click an URL that is
> pointing to a mc-file and MC will display that stack.
> (Unfortunately i cannot explain how to...)
>
> 2. Let MC be your browser for mc-files.
>
> Means that you create a stack that will download and display mc-files.
>
> I hope this helps, although it might not be very satisfying.
>
> Regards,
>
> Klaus Major <kmajor at metascape.org>
> MetaScape GmbH

Hi List, Richard,

Long times ago, i got with HyperCard 2.35 something named LiveCard 1.1
(Royal SoftWare Corp). It was a stack-based GUI designed to build web
pages on the fly from standard Hypercard stacks. I have to say that the
results was'nt more than slow toys..., not realy usable stuffs, less
usable than FileMaker/WebCompanion or FileMaker/Lasso solutions, for
exemple.

But LiveCard put me in the right way to build my first Hypercard-based
Web application and what i understood in learning the LiveCard
architecture is, someware, still alive in my present Metacard-based web
applications. If you wants for more, just drop an eye to the archives at
runrev.com and best.com and ask for more if interest.

Best Regards, Pierre Sahores

WEB & VPN applications & databases servers
Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Qualifier & produire l'avantage compétitif