[Metacard] OS X: 'icns' resources?

fuegox at mac.com fuegox at mac.com
Thu Nov 29 11:18:01 EST 2001

On Thursday, November 29, 2001, at 05:49 AM, Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> on 28/11/01 9:28 PM, fuegox at mac.com at fuegox at mac.com wrote:

>>> I've not been able to set the mask on the .ico file for Windows using
>>> Graphic Converter.  Does anyone have a Mac solution for that (or is
>>> there
>>> something in Graphic Converter that I've missed)?
>>
>> You can use the Add Alpha/Mask Channel under the effects menu in
>> Graphic
>> Con. to add that chanel.  What every you paint as black on that channel
>> will be transparent.  Then save the file as a .tiff for the Mac.
>
> Right, but then I still don't have a .ico with a mask?

Ok.  I see.  I am just not reading carefully here.  You need this for
Windows.  I have not done that for Windows.  I just use a win
application called: Axialis AX-Icons 4.5

Here are the steps I go through to make my icons.

1.  Make it in a graphic program on the Mac.
2.  Save the file on the Mac as a .pict or .tiff
3.  Dimensions are at 128x128 (this is for the max size on OS 10)
( i can always size it down to 32x32 for windows)

 From there I can make my Mac or PC icon.

For Mac 7-9
1.  copy image to clipboard
2.  open up res edit
3.  create the bndl resource and paste it into there (skipping some
small details)

For Mac 10
1.  Open up iconComposer
2.  Import image .tiff into the available sizes
3.  Save file (which creates the .icns file)
4.  Open up Graphic Con.. and use the resource copy to... option
5.  This puts it into an icns resource in my MC created app

For Win
1.  I work on a mac running virtual pc  (this makes it easy for me)
2.  open GC on Mac.  copy image to clipboard  (sometimes I save file as
an .ico file in 16 colors)
3.  run vpc and start up the win icon editor:  Axialis AX-Icons 4.5
4.  paste file into editor  (sometimes I open the saved .ico file from
GC)
5.  Make any needed changes and save file as a .ico file that MC can
import.

If you are running on a PC only and do not have access to a Mac with
VPC, then there is a step missing there that would require you to use a
network, disk, or e-mail to get the .ico file created on a Mac over.  Or
you could just create the file on the PC and go from there.  I have not
found a need for a mask on the PC side.  In fact, I did not use a mask
ever until I got to OS 10.  I guess the PC icon editor I use does it for
you in the background.

I think I will save this e-mail for later use.  Could be useful.  May
need more explanation on resedit for new users though.  Don't be
surprised if you see it again in the future on the list.  ;)

-Mark