[Metacard] Re: Darwin question again...

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri Nov 23 05:16:02 EST 2001

At 6:24 pm -0500 22/11/01, Richard MacLemale wrote:

>Here's what I think I know:
>1.  You can download the darwin metacard engine and it will run under OS X.
>2.  This will allow you to write scripts and save them as .mt files which
>can be placed in the CGI folder.
>3.  An example of such a file is echo.mt, included with MetaCard.
>
>I downloaded the darwin engine, I double-clicked it and it uncompressed (via
>Stuffit).  This created a folder with two files - gunzip and mc.gz.
>
>If you double-click the mc.qz file, it unzips and you have a file named mc.
>Putting that file into the CGI directory is NOT enough to make it work.  OS
>X doesn't know that it's an application.  I surmise that the directions that
>tell OS X about mc being an app are contained in the gunzip file.
>
>Finally, the question - How do you DO this?  What are the step by step
>instructions for installing the darwin mc engine?  I've got the darwin.tar
>file from the MC web site, and I know where the CGI folder is
>(Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables).

I've had it working before, so it is possible. Make sure execute
permissions are set on both the darwin engine and the mt script
files. (chmod 755)

If the engine is named "mc", and is in the CGI-Executables folder,
your scripts should start with #!mc

Call the script from a browser with the address:
serverName/cgi-bin/yourscript.mt

(I think Apache is pre-configured to run CGI scripts on OS X, but you
might want to check in the http.conf file if things aren't working.)

Also, from memory, I think the script files may require unix-style
line endings. (Or is that for Perl scripts!!!) One way to do this is
to write them in a Metacard field and save the contents of the field
using binary write so no conversion is done (put field x into url
"binfile:myfilepath.mt")

Good luck.

Dave Cragg