mailTo problems

Hugh Senior H at flexibleLearning.com
Fri Dec 14 07:06:01 EST 2001

This standard mailTo handler is meant to launch the user's default email
program and open a new email with the recipient's address under 95, 98,
Millennium, NT, XP and 2000. It is causing problems as mc complains about
'process already open' with no email program on screen, or in XP something
about wrong params.

on mailto tAddress,tSubject
   put word 1 to -2 of
queryRegistry("hkey_local_machine\software\classes\mailto\shell\open\command\")
into tEmailPath
   if tEmailPath is not empty then
      if tSubject <> "" then launch "mailto:" &tAddress & "?subject=" &
tSubject with tEmailPath
      else launch "mailto:" &quote& "<" &tAddress& ">" with tEmailPath
     if the result <>"" then
       get smartAnswer("Mailto",the result &cr& "Please close your eMail
program, then try again.","OK")
     end if
   else get smartAnswer("E-mail to"&&tAddress,"Sorry, I cannot find your
e-mail program. Please send e-mail manually.","OK")
end mailto

It was working fine, but as the CDROM is due for release in a couple of
weeks time, this is urgent!

Does ANYONE have a handler that works reliably across these operating systems?
PLEASE do mail me off list if you have something /anything to help us out!
Many, many thanks in advance.

Aaaargh!

/H