Talk about major speed killer!

Shari gogypsy at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 8 18:19:01 EST 2001

>Locking and unlocking the screen is dreadfully slow on Mac OS 8 - 9
>for me... it's not like it takes 10 seconds to lock and unlock the
>screen, but for time-sensitive projects like games it's unacceptable
>to get, say, 15 frames per second of updates to a stack.  This makes
>it pretty much impossible to move a bunch of things one after the
>other on screen and then have them update all at once - having
>GWorlds would be cool to have, but would require a whole big new
>re-write of some part of MC I'm sure.  If lock and unlock screen
>went instantaneously that would be one less problem that game
>developers would have to deal with in MC.

Having worked with Hypercard for so long, figuring out tricks to work
around things has become the norm for me.

One way around locking the screen is to simply show a card sized
graphic, to cover all the things moving around until they've finished.

Another is to use a card sized graphic, where the user has to DO
something, or play some sort of interesting animation, if there is a
wait involved.

Maybe not the optimum choice, any maybe won't work for every type of
game, but for what I create, it is workable.

Shari C

--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--
http://www.gypsyware.com