Talk about major speed killer!

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Sat Dec 8 12:39:01 EST 2001

>  >After so many years tweaking Hypercard to do more than it was
>intended to do, if there's a way to work around a problem, I will
>probably find it :-)
>
>I'd still be interested in having a look if you're willing -- lock
>screen shouldn't be slow, so (hopefully) there's something else
>going on...

Locking and unlocking the screen is dreadfully slow on Mac OS 8 - 9
for me... it's not like it takes 10 seconds to lock and unlock the
screen, but for time-sensitive projects like games it's unacceptable
to get, say, 15 frames per second of updates to a stack.  This makes
it pretty much impossible to move a bunch of things one after the
other on screen and then have them update all at once - having
GWorlds would be cool to have, but would require a whole big new
re-write of some part of MC I'm sure.  If lock and unlock screen went
instantaneously that would be one less problem that game developers
would have to deal with in MC.

--
Karl Becker, KB Productions - http://www.karlbecker.com
Featuring:New Tricks, Tiger's Eye Pub, and The Fishin' Hole