Sharing a desktop app, or with beta testers

William Prothero waprothero at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 20:06:36 EST 2022

Matthias:
I tried the command in the shell
It didn’t work as shown in the status field.
I then switched to superuser, with the password, and it ran the following without complaint.
xattr -cr "/Users/prothero/Oceanography Projects/LiveCode-RunRev Projects/1-AA-Current Projects/PT_Explorer Projects/EarthExplorer_CurrentWkg-D4/EExp Builds/Earth Explorer2/Earth Explorer.app"

Weird: I entered the command as you suggested below, and it asked for a password, as expected. BUT, it didn’t recognize the password I put in. Then I just did an SU command, it asked for the password and recognized my password. Then the action worked. I’m on OS 12.1 (Apple).

My shell password has a dollar sign, 2 numbers and 2 capital letters. Could that be the problem?

—This is the shell/terminal text:
WProtherosMBP4:~ prothero$ sudo -S xattr -cr "/Users/prothero/Oceanography Projects/LiveCode-RunRev Projects/1-AA-Current Projects/PT_Explorer Projects/EarthExplorer_CurrentWkg-D4/EExp Builds/Earth Explorer2/Earth Explorer.app"
Password:
Sorry, try again.
WProtherosMBP4:~ prothero$ sudo -S xattr -cr "/Users/prothero/Oceanography Projects/LiveCode-RunRev Projects/1-AA-Current Projects/PT_Explorer Projects/EarthExplorer_CurrentWkg-D4/EExp Builds/Earth Explorer2/Earth Explorer.app"
Password:
Sorry, try again.

But this worked:
WProtherosMBP4:~ prothero$ su
Password:
sh-3.2#

I changed the shell pw to all lower case alphabetical letters. Same issue.When I entered the shell first, entering the same password, it worked. The command below didn’t. It asked me for the password and when I entered it, it refused. Hmm.. odd.