LC Bug: Clipboard Polling Failure

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Tue Jan 18 08:19:35 EST 2022

Me:

 > BTW, I have a potential user workaround

I was almost afraid to mention that:
sure enough, LC bombed out after I did! :D

So to be clear, this will NOT solve the issue.
(User workarounds are only bandaids at best.)

Disclaimer:

This LC bug needs a real fix. It locks up the clipboard,
and perhaps any user copy/paste could trigger it.
The end-user has to restart your app to paste again.

But...this may help A LITTLE with A FEW use cases,
especially IN-HOUSE workflows where YOU are the user.

Disciplined user workaround:

I am manually copying info from a web browser
and LC works on the clipboard contents.

Previously the LC clipboard would hang often,
so I had to restart LC 2 or 3 times a day.

When creating the test stack and bug recipe,
faster clipboard access helped trigger it.

So I tried making my manual copying actions
slower and more deliberate: more time after
and between selections to copy, etc.
"Slow Is Smooth, and Smooth Is Fast."

Results:

Now I have to restart LC every 2 or 3 days.
A bit better. (Disciplined users only!) :)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

WordLib: Import MS Word and OpenOffice files in LiveCode!
"Dominate documents with WordLib and LC"
http://livecodeaddons.com/wordlib.html

Innovative Christian LiveCode Training and Consulting
"Better Methods, Better Results"
http://livecodeconsulting.com/