Sorting cards problem, and a link

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Jan 2 01:17:57 EST 2022

On 1/1/22 11:30 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:
> I’ve been looking at the exchange of messages here which had made me
> want to ask, why are you sorting cards at all?
>
> Wouldn’t it be easier just to use array pointers or an index for the cards.
> You can sort the pointers however you like and the cards never have to
> move at all according to your sort.  You can do all of your sorting
> experiments that way, and just go to the correct card that your
> pointer index tells you to go to.  It might be quicker too.

In hindsight, you bet. This was one of those jobs I thought would take a day or so, squeezed in
over a weekend between my long-term project. A quick export/import, minor visual adjustments,
and done. The existing scripts were minimal, mostly one-liners dating back to a novice using
HC. In fact, the only scripts I actually added were to convert some duplicate buttons to popups
and adjust for Cmd-F so it would work the way he was used to instead of opening the LC Find dialog.

And mostly it did work, thanks to LC's compatibility. I hadn't planned on doing anything major
and bid as such. If I'd known ahead of time there was going to be a problem I might have set up
an alternate method to start with.

But then my curiosity took over, so I posted here and now it's a puzzle to be solved. When that
happens I find it hard to let go. If no here can figure it out I'll probably fix it off the
clock and write off the time.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com