Sorting [was: Polygrid sorting]

Mike Kerner MikeKerner at roadrunner.com
Thu Aug 25 11:57:35 EDT 2022

oh, i love this topic. this onion is so, so thick.
since you are throwing in the curveball of on-demand column sorting, i have
several suggestions (and these are just my suggestions):
the obvious one is to use one of the bajillion ways that LC can sort,
right? grab the data (if you don't already have the data in a container
that you're using to populate the widget), sort it, put it back
the less obvious is to do what i end up doing in many of my apps (because
everything i write, now, is mobile), and that is have a local sqlite or
mysql db. keep all the data that you retrieve from the server in there, and
use the local copy as the data source. i do that because i can't guarantee
network connectivity, but i want my apps to run, anyway. in that case, my
sorting is still done in my db - my local cache. plus, if my app exits,
crashes, loses the focus, device reboots, etc., i want it to come back in
exactly the state it was in when it left, which is something that's easy to
do with a local db.
then there's using the local command line, because every OS has a sort
routine you can call.