devcon 2022 recap

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Thu Apr 28 11:49:37 EDT 2022

On 4/28/2022 11:12 AM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
> I did, but I was hoping for some community comment, as well.

Here is my take on the content I was interested in:

1) Web application development. If you are building a new app for the
web, you can do that pretty well now in LC 9.6.7 and LC 10 will be even
better.

2) If you have an existing application, say for the Desktop, but also
for Mobile, depending upon what that app does, porting it to the web
under LC 9.6.7 can run into problems, under LC 10 it will be easier, but
10 still has a lot of "developer preview (dp) releases to go before all
the things that will make web apps under 10 better will be there.

3) The compiler will be a nice addition for most people, an *essential*
addition if you have some app that is currently performance constrained.
The compiler is off in the LC 10 (release) and LC 11 time frame.

4) In Kevin keynote he alluded to some possible language/object
enhancements t o make responsive UI design easier (less coding). These
may (or may not) include such things as a "group type" object to layout
panes or rows and columns  for interface elements (other LC objects) and
- as part of another topic - a new single window IDE design may have
dockable and undockable windows that may or may not have code support
that developers can use to make having their own dockable/undockable
windows built more easily. Some of this work will be a replacement for
the Geometry Manager (little used due to problems with it)

So, for me, a number of things I am keenly interested in: (1) easier
posting of existing desktop apps to the web, (2) faster apps, and (3)
language enhancements that may UI design faster and involves less
coding. However none of this is available now and it will be arriving
over various time frames from "soon" to "later".

All comments and interpretations of what was presented are my own.

Paul Dupuis
Researchware