Sample stacks / revOnline [was: Re: Suggestion: Non-Appbuilding Community Edition]

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Sep 30 10:02:20 EDT 2021

On 06/09/2021 15:14, Kevin Miller via use-livecode wrote:

> Upgrading this could be a very useful project. There is a lot of content in there but it has the issues you list.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Kevin

Some of these issues can easily be tackled as a community effort /
project - but it's not clear to me how the more serious ones could be
done without project leadership (or at least strong involvement) from LC
Ltd. The ability to store things other than traditional stacks (e.g.
widgets, script-only stacks, documentation pages, e-books, ...) and how
that could be handled (or tested) on LC servers means they would need
LCLtd to be heavily involved.

And the other half of that project (i.e. providing infrastructure
support for library/LCS stacks) in the IDE/engine is certainly outside
the scope of a community project. For me, this includes things like

  - standard place to keep stacks/libraries  (e.g., maybe, My
Livecode/Libraries ?)

  - preference to change that in IDE, perhaps specialFolderPath("libraries")

  - naming scheme or convention (cf what was done for widgets)

  - a "require" or "include" mechanism for dependencies in libraries

  - integration into the dictionary (cf widgets again)

  - ability to add e.g. custom controls to the toolbar (cf widgets).

and no doubt many others that I haven't even thought of.

Without those, I think we will continue to struggle with a limited set
of community-provided libraries and tools, compared to the rich
ecosystem this *incredibly helpful* community should be able to provide.

But, getting my head own out of the clouds, I've had a look at this as a
community project - see separate email.

For anyone who got this far - thanks for your patience :-),

Alex.