Sorting text is *VERY* slow in LC9 on Windows (Re: Accumulating text is *VERY* slow in LC9 on Windows)

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sun Sep 12 07:09:14 EDT 2021

On 2021-09-10 19:10, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
> The other was
>> The only caveat is that it might cause apps mutating lots of
>> medium->large strings concurrently to take up more memory in
>> general... > ... (and any issue arising from that could be resolved by
>> moving to the 64-bit
>> windows engine).
>
> I have been doing my tests on the 64-bit Windows engine. What am I
> missing?

The change I am making to the buffer extension rules means that mutable
strings (i.e. those which the last action was modifying them, rather
than copying them / fetching them) will take up more space than they did
before to allow for possible extension (previously the maximum 'just in
case' space which was allocated was 63 bytes).

This means that applications may take up more memory as a result (if
they happen to have lots of large mutable strings in play at any one
time).

32-bit windows engines have a maximum address space of 3Gb - so if an
app was already approaching that limit, this might tip them over to
start causing out of memory errors.

However, in this case, switching to use the 64-bit windows engine would
resolve the problem as 64-bit address space is substantially larger.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps