LiveCode 10 - what are your thoughts on the new features?

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 18:35:23 EDT 2021

Hi Martin

I'm interested in the web assembly for HTML5.  I had actually written two
different apps which I would have done as HTML5 but the loading time alone
was just to slow. The increased loading speed alone should now make these
possible as HTML5. There are still a lot of other things that are difficult
to do with the current HTML5 deployment to make it anything like a
fat-client deployment. Still, for my purposes it can't even get off the
ground without the initial load speed improvement.

I am expecting the M1 build to bring about increased performance, but I
have no complaints with the current Rosetta speed on M1 (but the 10x faster
startup time of M1 Macs over Intel Macs could give us some idea of how much
of a speed increase we might see).

I like the array literals idea. That's something I've wanted for so, so
long.  And the constants built from expressions is a nice thing to have.
Having named rather than merely positional parameters for handlers would
also be something I'd like (Python does a few things right).  But these
things are basically syntactic sugar.

With Switch statements I always try to put the options in order of greatest
likelihood first, but that can't always make a difference if conditions
follow a more even distribution. Still, it's one less thing to have to
think about.

But I would hope there are even bigger things coming with version 10 than
these.

Regards, Bernard

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 11:03 PM Martin Koob via use-livecode <