Suggestion: Non-Appbuilding Community Edition

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 03:33:56 EDT 2021

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 12:13 AM Lagi Pittas via use-livecode <

> Another company's software I used for visual Foxpro and Delphi over the
> years was
>
> https://www.chilkatsoft.com/
>
> Look at all the languages they support and livecode isn't on there [...]
> VB.NET, VB6, VBScript, Xbase++, xHarbour, Xojo
>
> The question is why Livecode isn't there?
>
> Lagi

The question is: have YOU lobbied chilkat to build an interface for
Livecode?  I did. I got no reply.

But when I bought my chilkat license (some years before I lobbied them)
something went wrong with the payment (my bank cancelled the payment as
"suspicious").  I got the vilest email from a company I've ever had,
accusing me of fraud and telling me how the developer would get his own
back.  His response is seared into my memory (I excused his awful behaviour
by telling myself "hmm he must have had a significant number of people
ripping him off with this software"). Despite his vile email, I arranged
for payment with a different credit card. But when I didn't get a response
from him re Livecode I decided I'd been too nice in excusing his bad
behaviour.  By contrast, every email I've ever sent to LC Ltd has resulted
in a prompt and courteous reply.

Perhaps if you spent as much time lobbying Chilkat as you spend denigrating
LC Ltd you might find LC among the software supported by Chilkat?  I doubt
the developer of Chilkat would allow you on his forum to repeatedly
denigrate him and his software, criticising his company for supporting
Filemaker than implementing something you want.

Once again, if "the opensource community", supposedly "the largest
demographic", are not at least using their time to lobby e.g. Chilkat to
provide a Livecode interface, then are they beneficial or are they just a
drain?  To date the only Livecode user we know who spent time to lobby
Chilkat is also one of those who is not a free-loader but one who has been
a license-payer for decades.  What are the scores/hundreds of freeloaders
doing with their time?

Regards, Bernard