Mudslinging and consequences - a change to our policy

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 06:44:20 EDT 2021

I very much doubt whether anyone round these parts has ever doubted the
integrity of the
people who work for LC Ltd.

But that should not blind one in other respects.

There have been consequences of the recent decision to drop support for
an Open Source version of LiveCode: some seemingly positive and some
seemingly negative, and all that will be borne out in good time.

There is also an large difference, as I attempted to point out, between
mud-slinging and a reasonable discussion about what these consequences
might be, how they might affect LC Ltd, the programming "thing" we all
know and love, and us as people who program computers.

My posting was precipitated by someone who did "sling mud" in a way
that would put most people off: and slang mud with no obvious
support or justification. I asked for clarification on several of those
"lumps of mud" (scriptEditor, dictionary, palettes) and go no
explanation back whatsoever: this makes me wonder how, without
any explanations that person expected those "lumps of mud" to stick,
and because of that, the whole exercise just looked like spite on their
behalf.

"Thank heavens" does not seem as black-and-white as all that to all
people, and, Yes, a bit of self-examination re one's motivations is
quite healthy on occasion, but so it should be for LC Ltd. as well.

I have used LiveCode for something near to 20 years now, and as anyone who
is not daft knows, have had a "very odd" relationship with the people at
LC Ltd. How much of that is that I'm a "bit odd", how much of it is that
they
are not geared up to cope with "odd" people like me, and so on and so forth
I really don't know. But I can say that they have always been very kind and
remarkably tolerant to some of my "odder oddnesses" all things
considered.

As anyone who is "rocking around" the Forums can see, at the moment, I am
attempting to contribute 'my bit' by showing how readily LiveCode can be
used to fulfill large parts of the English and Scottish computing curricula
( and, by extension, those of other countries), and I do hope, that after
some of the "dust" has settled . . .

Richmond.