[ANN] Release 10.0.0 DP-1

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Tue Nov 23 08:12:38 EST 2021

Brave, Edge, and Chrome are all using the same engine. They should perform
the same. IIRC Firefox still has the best WASM performance, mostly because
it was invented there and they had more time to optimize.

That the way the web browsers works is that "they really hate opening local
HTML files with file:// protocol". Opening a file like that will switch on
a lot of protection in the browser and restrict many APIs. The correct way
to test WASM files is by running a local web server and opening it using
HTTPS (or HTTP if you must).

Be aware that the most important change regarding performance between WASM
and the previous ASM.JS based engine will not be visible when running a
local server. To load an ASM.JS based webapp, the browser needs to fetch
all the files before loading them into memory and parsing them. The new
WASM technology allows a browser to load the files while the transfer still
happening. It is a streaming kind of tech. This means that besides all the
other benefits, you don't need to deal with the latency of waiting for
transfers to complete before the app starts to load. When running locally,
the transfer is so fast that you can see this benefit, but try placing
those files in a remote server and the difference should be night and day,
specially for really large builds.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 09:34, Bernard Devlin via use-livecode <

https://www.andregarzia.com <http://www.andregarzia.com>
Want to support me? Buy me a coffee at https://ko-fi.com/andregarzia