XCode command line tools 12

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Wed May 19 20:12:45 EDT 2021

This has worked for me.

1) Never upgrade or install Xcode from the app store.
2) Download from developer site.
3) NEVER put xcode.app in the Applications folder.
4) I made a new folder with all the Xcode versions I need. Rename every
download with a version number suffix.
5) Open up downloaded versions after rename. This will finish the
installation.
6) Now for the magic at command prompt:
This will show what tools LC will use for building==> xcode-select
--print-path
This will set the tools that LC will use for building==> sudo xcpde-slect
-switch "path to xcode.app version to build with"

You will see if the version of Xcode is supported on your version of Mac OS
when doing step 5 above.
In setting On the "mobile support" pane of prefs you can add several version
of Xcode to support older simulators and sdks

I have Xcode 8.2.1, 9.2, 10.1 and 11.3.1 on my Mojave Mac. This give me
10.2,11.2,21.1 and 13.1 simulators.

I will be upgrading to Catalina shortly. Why, because I have to...

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
rdimola at evergreeninfo.net