Spurious characters from html files - text encoding issues?

Keith Clarke keith.clarke at me.com
Mon May 17 10:58:55 EDT 2021

Thanks Ben, that’s really interesting. It never occurred to me that these html files might be anything other than simple plain text files, as I’d work with in Coda, etc., for years.

The local HTML files are storage of the HTML text pulled from the LiveCode browser widget, saved using the URL ‘file:’ option. I’d been working ‘live’ from the Browser widget’s html text until recently, when I’ve introduced these local files to split page ‘crawling’ and analysis activities without needing a database.

Reading the files back into LiveCode with the URL ‘file:’ option works quite happily with no text anomalies when put into a field to read. The problem seems to arise when I load the HTML text into a variable and then start to extract elements using LiveCode's text chunking. For example pulling the text between the offsets of say <p> & </p> tags is when these character anomalies have started to pop into the strings.

A quick test on reading in the local HTML files with the URL ‘binfile:’ option and then textDecode(tString, “UTF-8”) seems to reduce the frequency and size of anomalies, but some remain. So, I’ll see if re-crawling pages and saving the HTML text from the browser widget as binfiles reduces this further.
Thanks & regards,
Keith