New(?) Idea for Standalones

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Mar 29 12:15:14 EDT 2021

On 2021-03-27 22:22, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> Also note: The stacks you distribute cannot violate the LC license
> agreement. They can't reproduce IDE features or allow users to do
> things that only a licensed user can do. Please don't violate the
> license agreement; we all want LC to prosper.

Indeed.

I feel I must explicitly point out at this point that, in addition to
forbidding creation of LiveCode-IDE-like applications, the commercial
license agreement also explicitly prohibit generic player apps (or
indeed any player app which allows a non-commercially licensed user to
access commercial features).

I strongly recommend reviewing section 3 of the (commercial) license
agreement for full details. The reason these clauses are there is to
ensure we don't end up in a situation where we only ever sell one LC
license a year: to a person who creates and distributes a player app and
an automated build service using a business license to spit out
standalones for everyone else who is using Community.

In terms of the general thrust behind this thread - I completely agree
that standalone building has become tortuous over the last few years as
all platforms add more and more hoops you have to jump through. However,
this is probably best done by improving the standalone building process
(i.e. making it as easy as possible) rather than anything else.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps