New(?) Idea for Standalones

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Mar 27 21:31:42 EDT 2021

On 27/03/2021 02:43, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> This makes the Community Edition a natural fit for a generic player,
> since the proliferation the license explicitly encourages would be
> very much with the grain of its goals.
>
> But then we have to ask: how many of those who might enjoy a generic
> player embrace the GPL with the stacks they'd like to distribute it with?

hmmm - I don't get that bit.

The generic player would be built with Community Edition - and hence
must be GPL-compliant.

However, the stacks it "plays" are merely documents. GPL is (afaiu)
clear that documents viewed (or indeed created) by GPL apps are not
covered by the GPL - i.e. it does not proliferate into the stacks. The
stacks are not in any way derivative of the player.

So I could build a stack with my Indy license, and distribute that under
any restrictive licensing terms I choose, but use the CE/GPL compliant
player app to run them.

Of course, the source of the stacks would be visible, but there wouldn't
seem to be any requirement on which licensing terms I apply to that stack.

Or, I may be misunderstanding GPL again - I have done on many occasions
since I first hired a developer to work on gcc back in the mid-80s :-)

Alex.