New(?) Idea for Standalones

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Mar 26 21:31:38 EDT 2021

On 27/03/2021 00:35, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> What are you looking for?  When were these "good ol days" in which one
> could run stack files without an engine, and how did that work?

I can describe what I would like; that may be similar to what Roger is
looking for. Or it may not.
But I think it is :-)

I'd like to be able to develop a stack and give it to a friends or
family, and have them run it on their iOS or Android devices. I don't
want to get involved in building iOS standalones (or even installing
xCode), so ideally I would give them a simple app (i.e. stackRunner kind
of thing), and then my "app" as a document to load into that 'runner' app.

> There are many reasons it would be problematic to make one generic
> "player" for everyone's stack files, mostly user experience but also
> app store restrictions, and additional technical requirements for any
> devs using it to keep stacks playing nicely together.

I'm not going to sell apps, or distribute them widely, so I (don't think
I) care about app store restrictions. I also don't care about 'user
experience' in the sense of branding or feeling like a unique app.

I'm not sure what you mean by  "additional technical requirements..."

If that's feasible, I'd happily buy (or contribute cost towards) such a
'runner' app. I doubt that I'd be the only one.

Alex.