[ANN] This Week in LiveCode 259

matthias_livecode_150811 at m-r-d.de matthias_livecode_150811 at m-r-d.de
Wed Mar 24 05:45:52 EDT 2021

Jacque,

> Am 24.03.2021 um 03:32 schrieb J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>:
>
> I read it today too and it was inspiring, which was the whole point really. A couple of the footnotes made me laugh. I already make a lot of my own tools and plugins but I did get some ideas from the book.
>
> I immediately set about updating one of my tools and got stuck.

> So the next question is: how long should you spend making a tool when you could have done it faster the manual way?

That's a question, that one has to answer for oneself. I for example created a script which does some tasks with the created standalones after their creation. It took some time to get the script working the way i want it to. Before that script i had to do these tasks manually for each created standalone. Sometimes 3 times, because have to projects i create for Win/Mac/Linux and that several times a month.
So even if it takes not much time after standalone creation, it takes very much time in a month or a year. So the time it took to create the script was much less than i have to spent to manually do the tasks in future.

> I got stuck trying to FTPs a file to my server. The lesson I consulted didn't work, and I stopped because figuring out why would have become a whole project. So I'm back to dragging the file to a Fetch shortcut.
If you need some help, contact me privately. I am sure we get it working quickly. ;)

Matthias