installing and running LC on 'headless' linux server

Mark Talluto mark at canelasoftware.com
Sat Jan 30 21:22:56 EST 2021

Hi Ben,

My favorite method is to build server code with standalones and script only stacks. You can run them headless using the -ui method as you proposed earlier.
You can have the standalone act as a starter stack that loads in your script only stacks as libraries. This model makes it easy to do future updates because they are not built into the standalone itself.

Place standalone and stack files here:
- Apache
IP Number/home/standalone
		/home/libaries/stack files here

- nginx
IP/usr/local/bin/standalone
			/bin/libraries/stack files here

Each executable is always on for performance. They use very little cpu when they are waiting for something to do. In my experience, they rest a 0% between loops and jump to around 3% when checking on the workload. They will jump up to some other value when they are processing. When done, they return to the 0-3% consumption.

We use PHP to receive incoming posts to the VM. After PHP does its thing, it passes the posted request to the LiveCode standalone. The process repeats itself as data is posted to the VM.

This has been a proven model for us. We have used it for many years with LiveCloud.

You can use this model in many ways. It will depend on what you are trying to accomplish.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
livecloud.io <http://livecloud.io/>
nursenotes.net <http://nursenotes.net/>