[OT] Poll: What does it mean for 1 rect to be 'within' a certain distance of another rect?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Feb 16 08:26:47 EST 2021

Hi Henk,

No, it's maybe not obvious but it does take all cases into account.

If the smallest distance is between corners of each rectangle - only
then does the 'sqrt' have real meaning. In all other cases, one or other
of the DX and DY comes out as 0.

------
  |    |
          -----

So if there is an overlap in one dimension, (Y above) then DY is
calculated as 0 - and the result is the distance in X (i.e. sqrt(DX*DX+0) ).

Alex.