Sign a Mac App, also sign the DMG?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Thu Feb 4 12:03:13 EST 2021

We current ship a commercial app. We code sign, notarize, and staple our
App We then place it on a DMG using DropDMG, but do not code sign the
DMG. We distribute the DMG via our Web site and not the MacApp store.

QA testing on Catalina and Big Sur show only the usual "This (the DMG)
has been downloaded from the Internet" warning that your get even with a
signed DMG if downloading outside of the MacApp store. Where as a signed
DMG will not open on Mavericks and a couple other above 10.9.

We test on 10.9 to 10.16 as that is the range of MacOS versions
supported by LC.