Using MySQL on (headless) Linux

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Feb 2 04:03:57 EST 2021

On 2021-02-01 22:25, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
> Undesirable things found:
>
> 1. I've not found how to access externals (in this case the database
> library) without explicitly setting the 'externals' property of the
> stack to a (generally unreliably) full path before the stack is saved.
>
> 3. revSetDatabaseDriverPath is required even when the drivers are in
> the standard location inside the app 'bundle'.
>
> I'll report (2) and (3) formally when I've done a bit more
> investigation. I'd still love to know what I'm doing wrong, in
> relation to (1).

Please don't - as neither are bugs :)

The standalone engine inside the runtime folders in the IDE install is
just a bare engine.

In community you can certainly run the bare engine without building a
standalone but as you have discovered it is just what it is - a bare
engine, it knows nothing of externals, database drivers, widgets, script
libraries or anything else.

If you want a headless (community) engine which has dependencies then
all you have to do is deploy a standalone with a launcher stack embedded
into it.

The launcher stack should have the inclusions you want configured for
it, and it can just run the stack you pass as an argument on the
command-line.

Doing it this way, it means the standalone builder will take care to
ensure all the 'inclusions' you set are present and configured correctly
(including widgets, externals and script libraries).

You only need to rebuild the standalone if your inclusion requirements
change, or you want to change engine version.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. In regards to (1) the trick is to do this:
```
set the externals of the templateStack to <external files list>
create invisible stack "Externals" -- or any name you like
inser the script of it into back
reset the templateStack
```
This allows you to compute the external paths at runtime when the engine
starts (e.g. by using the engine folder, or the filename of the stack
and computing the paths).

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps