Using MySQL on (headless) Linux

Ben Rubinstein benr at cogapp.com
Mon Feb 1 16:32:20 EST 2021

Update. I have managed to get access to the Rev database external by
explicitly setting the `externals` property of the stack before saving it (on
Mac) to the full path on the linux machine to `revdb.so`.

Consequently the functions such as `revOpenDatabases` and `revOpenDatabase` no
longer throw error 219. Hurrah. Indeed `externalCommands` and
`externalFunctions` now list all the expected commands and functions of the
database library.

This is obviously an appalling solution, since it relies on me knowing the
exact path to the LiveCode bundle on the destination machine. (My recollection
from a decade or so ago is that this property has to already be set at the
time that the stack is opened, i.e. it can't be set dynamically. This may be
erroneous.) However, it will get me going for now.

Now my issue is that when the code tries to open the database,
`revOpenDatabase` returns "revdberr,invalid database type". That suggests that
the drivers aren't found.

I've tried to get past this using `revSetDatabaseDriverPath`.

The documentation says
> Use the revSetDatabaseDriverPath command if you want to place the database
> drivers your application uses somewhere other than the same folder as the
> application.
In fact the drivers are in the standard location, so this shouldn't be needed,
but hey... I started by reporting `revGetDatabaseDriverPath` - but calling
that causes LiveCode to immediately exit on signal 11. (This was in a
try-catch block, but that doesn't stop it crashing out.)

However, after using `revSetDatabaseDriverPath`, `revGetDatabaseDriverPath` no
longer crashes but faithfully reports the value set.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to help - although "set the defaultFolder to
revGetDatabaseDriverPath()/put the files" does list the folder which includes
dbmysql.so - revOpenDatabase still returns "revdberr,invalid database type".

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Ben