Storing json - mergeJSON, textdecode and "\u00a0”

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 10:20:06 EDT 2021

An update on my flailing attempts to get a robust way to go Fromm arrays to json and back. Essentially the story is stuff that works on OSX fails now and then on the server - and I’m trying to track down why?

It’s an intermittent problem and hard to pinpoint as the json files have a lot of content -so finding a character that is causing the problem is not easy. My assumption is that this is an encoding issue - but attempts at using textDecode() are not helping.

I found one instance that was causing the array encoding to fail:
> quote_type
> put textDecode (utf8JSON, "UTF-8") into rJSON
> replace "\u00a0” with empty in rJSON

While this is fixing the cases I have so far - I am not sure what the underlying encoding issue is here. Its a unicode non-breaking-space - https://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/00a0/index.htm but I’m not sure about the encoding and whether its valid utf8?

Bit stuck any thoughts?

📆    Schedule a call with me