[ANN] Organize - A daily task manager

Mark Smith marksmithhfx at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 06:50:07 EDT 2021

Hi Alex,

Where are you stuck? There are many steps in the process and I too found many of them confusing. Luckily I had some help so I am happy to pass along what I’ve learned (also, many others will have answers to your questions).

See below for my specific responses… happy to take them here if it doesn’t violate any list rules.

> On Aug 26, 2021, at 1:16 AM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> Looks great. I'm impressed - and inspired to have another try at getting past the hurdles and making an iOS app :-)
> Any suggestions on how to get started would be welcome.
>
> I'm not sure if I should send comments/suggestions directly to you, or to start on the list to encourage discussion. I'll start here for now.
>
> 1. (Always my first question :-)  Can I export the data if I want to move to another app ?
> Or import ? (e.g. CSV, ...)

Not at present, but I’ll add that to the list.

> 2. Is there a "move un-completed items to the next day" (i.e. to make it more like a traditional to-do list manager) ?

At the moment you would have to do that item by item (i.e. no batch move option… I’ve added that to the suggestion list as well :)

> 3. Blank items ?  From around 40sec - 1:10 sec there is a 'blank' item left on the screen while you do other things. Does it stay forever, or disappear if you move to another section ?

In general, blank lines are not saved to the DB. You can see this in action between 1:10 - 1:15 when I leave to go to the Settings page and then return again. The blank line is gone. If you add text to a line, save it (most any action will save it), then remove the text from the line the program treats the update like any other update and will save it as blank. Of course you can manually remove it later if you want.

> 4. Your "left arrow' menu. Shouldn't that be (i.e. wouldn't iOS users expect that to be) a left-swipe to bring up the menu ?

Good catch. I used “open” text fields (like any standard LC text entry field) instead of the "Edit Field” concept provided with the DG. This was for several reasons but in general I found it made it easier to enter/edit text. However, you cannot swipe across an “open” text field since it just inserts the cursor. Some other mechanism had to be found and this seems to be a reasonable alternative. At least for this application I am happy with the choice and hope others are as well. Time will tell :)