Accumulating text is *VERY* slow in LC9 on Windows

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Aug 26 04:49:34 EDT 2021

Thanks Curry.

In fact (apologies I didn't make this clear in my already too-long email) it
really is just the accumulating of text, at least in this instance, that's the
issue. After I added a test on each extracted (i.e. looped over) line to see
if it was "strictly a binary string", and counting the results; but then
commented out the line that appended the text, the loop completed in a second
or less. Uncommenting the line put it back to 8 minutes or so.

So of your items below, it really is just item 3.

The difference between the Mac and Windows machines I happened to be using
isn't really relevant. The point is that on one Windows machine, running the
same script in LC9 is about 50 times slower than the same script on the same
machine in LC6. On a given Mac machine, it's many times faster in LC9 than
LC6. Something is awry on Windows.

BUT - I've only tested on one Windows machine, that's all I've got access to
at the moment. So if anyone has a chance to see if they get similar results,
that would be very helpful.

Ben