Math/logic lessons from B-21 and Afghanistan

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Thu Aug 19 17:15:55 EDT 2021

(Had some downtime again this week; still under the weather.)

Here are a couple of additional math/logic lessons seen in media,
which can be applied equally well to LC code and software dev....

A. Periodic Task Optimization (B-21 bomber stealth coating repair):

1. Calculate impact of various defects/needs on actual performance.
2. Trigger targeted action when an area's impact passes threshold.

Result: "cuts down maintenance time between missions significantly"

(Nice! I've used a similar approach for periodic intensive tasks.)

<https://breakingdefense.com/2021/08/the-b-21-raider-a-bomber-that-is-both-low-observable-and-easier-to-maintain/>

--

B. Prerequisites and ordering tasks (Afghanistan pullout):

1. Orderly free movement of people requires security and logistics.
2. Movement from Point A to Point B requires first reaching Point A.
3. Therefore, evacuate civilians before collapsing security operation.

Result: "Taliban fighters blocking checkpoints and assaulting Afghans"

(Whoops. Best to consider prerequisites before - "pre" - the event!)

<https://www.armytimes.com/flashpoints/afghanistan/2021/08/19/us-military-can-get-9000-a-day-out-of-afghanistan-but-theres-no-security-outside-of-the-airport/>

--

Happy coding! Hopefully I'll be back in action next week....

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
"Better Methods, Better Results"