NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription missing from Info.plist

scott at elementarysoftware.com scott at elementarysoftware.com
Wed Aug 4 03:54:22 EDT 2021

I’m using LC 9.6.3 (stable) Business on Mac BigSur

After using Transporter to load an update for an iOS app into AppStore Connect I got the usual notice about "Missing Push Notification Entitlement - Your app appears to register with the Apple Push Notification service…” which is annoying but not problematic.

Unfortunately I also got this next one which I thought had been resolved a while back.

"Missing Purpose String in Info.plist - Your app's code references one or more APIs that access sensitive user data. The app's Info.plist file should contain a NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription key with a user-facing purpose string explaining clearly and completely why your app needs the data.”

Am I misremembering? I thought all of those keys and related generic strings were now being included during the build. Do we still need to modify the Info.plist ?  <I did and that resolved the issue>

None of these keys (or the explanation strings) were present in my Info.plist:

	<key>NSLocationAlwaysAndWhenInUseUsageDescription</key>
	<key>NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription</key>
	<key>NSLocationWhenInUseUsageDescription</key>

--
Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)