Complete Crash or Engine Hang: which is better?

Tom Glod tom at makeshyft.com
Thu Apr 29 13:40:15 EDT 2021

Since you are doing clipboard stuff....

when the clibpboardData["html"] is set ...and then you paste into VSCode
... the spaces are unrecognized characters.

on windows, not sure about the others.

Cheers,

Tom

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 1:15 PM Mark Smith via use-livecode <

> Thanks Richard, that probably explains it. There are style runs in the
> TextEdit text (and not, say, in Atom or some other editor). It was just odd
> to me because I think (quite simplistically) of text being text and not
> expecting them to have style runs, but of course they can. This also began
> because not only could I not change my text, someone else previously had
> this problem and eventually fixed it by deleting the fields and starting
> over (https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32727 <
> https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32727>). I now suspect it
> may have been style runs in their text as well. I don’t tend to run into
> this sort of problem because I’m rarely concerned with the style of text,
> but in this particular case I actually did want to change the font size and
> color and couldn’t, and that had me puzzled. Ok good, I think you've solved
> this. Thanks for weighing in.
>
> Mark
>
> > On Apr 29, 2021, at 5:18 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> >
> > Mark Smith wrote:
> >
> > > here’s an odd pasting issue I ran into the other day. To cut to the
> > > chase, basically I can make a field become unmodifiable with respect
> > > to TEXT parameters (excluding align) by pasting anything from Apples
> > > TextEdit tool into the field.
> >
> > By what means were you attempting to modify the text styles?
> >
> > If you modify the text styling properties of the field object itself,
> remember that style runs within the field will override those.
> >
> > You could have your script paste with putting the clipboardData["text"]
> into the selection, and you can strip style runs to inherit field
> properties with "put fld X into fld X".
> >
> > --
> > Richard Gaskin
> > Fourth World Systems
> > Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Tom Glod
Founder & Developer
MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
Mobile:647.562.9411