App fails to launch after code signing

panagiotis merakos merakosp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 02:46:27 EDT 2021

Hello all,

Yes, indeed, it seems the culprit is the Xcode version. We build LiveCode
(and its externals) against the MacOSX 10.9 SDK, and set the minimum
deployment version, again, to MacOSX 10.9.

If you examine the externals using the "otool" command (otool -l
/path/to/your.dylib | grep -B 1 -A 3 LC_VERSION_MIN), which returns some
info about the SDKs used, it returns:

   -
   - in LC 9.6.1 (built with Xcode 11.x):

Load command 8
cmd LC_VERSION_MIN_MACOSX
cmdsize 16
version 10.9
sdk 10.9

   - but in LC 9.6.2 RC-X (built with Xcode 12.x):

Load command 8
cmd LC_VERSION_MIN_MACOSX
cmdsize 16
version 10.9
sdk n/a

The "sdk n/a" part creates the problem. This happens because when
signing with hardened runtime enabled (this is a requirement for the
the notarization), then the "library validation" check is enabled by
default, and for this to work all the components must be built with at
least the MacOSX 10.9 sdk. But the "sdk n/a" part means that it does
not know what version of the sdk was used, so the library validation
feature blocks the externals from being launched. This is why
disabling the library validation is a temporary workaround.

We are investigating this, so as you do not need to disable library
validation just for loading the LC externals.

Kind regards,

Panos

--

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 09:20, Jimmieson, Phil via use-livecode <