Dynamic scripted nested array keys?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Sat Apr 24 09:04:24 EDT 2021

I have only partially been following this thread, but if you need to
find the array 'content' in an arbitrary nested array from a comma
delimited path of array keys, recursion is the way to do it:

function fetchArrayContentFromPath pArray,pPath
   -- pArray is an array
   -- pPath is a comma delimited 'path' of array keys to the desired content
   local tKey
   if pArray is not an array then
     return pArray -- I have reached the content, so return that content
   else if pPath is empty then
     return pArray -- should not happen in a tree widget, but this is if
the path ends in an array instead of the content of an array element
   else
     put item 1 of pPath into tKey -- get the key of element in the
currnet path
     delete item 1 of pPath        -- remove it from the current path,
so the path is the next set of key(s)
     return fetchArrayContentFromPath(pArray[tKey],pPath) - recursively
fetch the remainig keys from the currnet array element
   end if
end fetchArrayContentFromPath

It will not matter is the 'path' is key1,key1 or
key1,key2,key3,key4,key5,key6,key7, or whatever.